2/17/2012

White Castle?

Yesterday was Mutti's 51st Birthday. My little (actually a head taller than me) brother and his wife wanted to make her dinner and invited us over to join them. They made French onion soup and french dip sandwiches. I got there as the ingrediants were coming together and the house was starting to smell awesome. I mixed up a pan of Mom's favorite, cream cheese marbled brownies and sat back to enjoy the combination of simmering booze and onions as well as the occasional burst of chocolate from the oven.

Then after a while dinner was served. It was heavenly, all gooey and warm and cheesy. I don't actually remember the last time I ate french onion soup but it will not be such a long time before I have it again because the recipe that Felix and Brit used was from Skinny Taste, which is this awesome blog of great healthy recipes.Which means that once I get my cooking groove back I'll be making it myself, probably weekly, it's that good. My niece was adorable, she had a bowl and was not interested in the bread or cheese but ate the onions hand over fist, it was like she was digging through a candy jar, she was that excited about them. She even finished a few that I had left in my bowl!

Today I have a case of "Did you shower at White Castle this morning?"

My Mom's house is great for imparting food smells onto people's clothing, hair and even skin as is the case today. I guess it doesn't have great ventilation because most smells, food, dryer sheets and even her perfume, hangs out for longer than it would most other places. Even after a good scrubbing I still catch whiffs of onion, it's making me hungry.

3 comments:

Carbie Girl said...

My sister worked at white castle for a short period of time... we would jokingly insist she sit outside to "air out" before coming home LOL Skinnytaste=awesomeness everything I've made on her site has been fantastic

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

haha! I still smell like onions too! My eyes burned for at least an hour after that chopping :P

als said...

Sounds delicious! Mmmmmm, French Onion Soup...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...