7/11/2011

Thai-mazing

Last night Jeeves' aunt who is a dear and awesome lady, came for a short visit. Her hubby (Jeeves' uncle) is a soldier and is spending 6 months in Ft. Leonard Wood for some school stuff, so on her way back to Illinois, she decided to spend a night on our couch.

I didn't feel like cooking and was craving something different, so we asked Aunt D to help us order some Thai food. She grew up in CA but her family is Korean, so she knows the best types of Thai, Korean and Vietnamese foods. She picked out a spicy beef with onions and cilantro, and a papaya salad. Jeeves, being the culinary adventurer he is (sarcasm) ordered a big thing of Chicken Pad Thai (yummy, but boring). We also picked out some dumplings and ordered a few sides of white rice.
Nam Tok (spicy beef)

Papaya Salad (yum!)

Chicken Pad Thai

When the food arrived, the aromas that floated through my house were amazing and I proceeded to stuff my face so epically that when I was finished, I felt like I was going to die. It was all so good, spicy, but not overly so, flavorful, and upon some research, really, really healthy. The papaya salad was basically no calories, and the beef was so lean I have no idea how they did it. The worst part of the meal (calorie wise) was the white rice, and I only had about a serving of it, so it was forgivable.

I have asked her to teach me how to make some of these really yummy things, as she is an amazing chef when it comes to the foods that her parents brought her up with. In September, we are going to go for a visit and she is going to school me in the arts of flavoring Korean/Thai/Vietnamese food. I'm so freaking excited. I am going to take a notebook and take photos of what she is doing so I can remember it and translate it into recipes in my family cookbook.

The place we ordered from is pretty close and open for lunch, I may drag  someone along with me one day this week to try some new foods from there, I'm feeling adventurous.

I am also feeling inspired, Jeeves' loves Chinese take out, and I bet I can make it healthier. I have this idea for fried rice which id blowing my mind, and I bet I can create a baked version of General Tso's that will satisfy and be lower in calories than the fried version. I need to head out to the Global food store and pick up some papaya and fish sauce (totes going to make papaya salad) and I also think cabbage/chicken stir fry might happen at my house tonight.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I have never eaten any of this type of food. But you know it sounds interesting. We don't have nay of those types of rest. up here. Please sure a recipe or two, I' love to give something a try if I could find the ingredients.
Keep up the great work. I am so proud of you.
Take care my friend and God Bless!!

SO FAT 4 NOW said...

Spicy gets them endorphins kicking. Siracha in my cereal...

Leah said...

YUM! Makes me want to go get pad Thai, I love that! :)

My mom went through a kick where she tried to make different Korean foods. She made something called bulgogi (sp?), which is a really thin sliced beef that's marinated and then cooked in a wok (i don't have a wok, I just use a skillet). It is so good... I think I may have to run to the store!

Unknown said...

Mmmm Thai food :) I love that stuff! I am a spicy freak. I love, love, love curry and peppers (minus jalapeno). Dang it! Now I want to have Thai food!!

Please share recipes when you're taught the secrets of awesome Thai :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...